Thursday, January 19, 2012

"strong reading" "with the grain" "against the grain"



“Strong reading”

“Strong reading” is defined as an ability to read in both, “With the grain” and “Against the grain.” This basically means as a reader we have to use a combination of both to fully understand what the text might be stating, which is supposed to be used as a tool for finding knowledge and creating arguments.


“With the grain”

Reading with the grain means that as a reader you see everything from the author’s perspective by supporting their main viewpoint’s and arguments.

I read “with the grain” when it comes to articles that talk about politics. Since I find myself to be biased on some issues I usually go for articles that reinforce my reasoning.  I connect the author’s ideas through my own argument and by doing so I usually find myself listening to the authors reasoning without identifying anything he/she may say that maybe inaccurate. I guess I just go along reading and accept what the authors have to say because I’ve done this for so long.  It’s very difficult to change when I have certain biases that cause me to be somewhat blinded, but I’m gradually trying to develop into a good reader that reads “with the grain” and “against the grain”.

“Against the grain”

Reading “against the grain” is the total opposite from reading “with the grain” because it entails questioning the author’s ideas. Instead of withholding judgment, reading against the grain means the reader is more critical towards the author by pointing out what is wrong with the authors reasoning.

An example of a time when I read “against the grain” was when I read the autobiography of Malcolm X. Since I read this book in middle school I forgot many aspect of the book but still remember Malcolm’s X justification of violence during the civil rights movement.  I found his arguments for violence to be ludicrous and close-minded. His argument for keeping African Americans excluded from American society was so that they could develop their own society and achieve things that wouldn’t have been possible with the integration of everybody. He didn’t have a good argument, but based his reasoning from his own experiences. Throughout this book I often paused and challenged his way of reasoning and identified main points that were unsupported. I think the reason why I read this way was because his arguments didn’t make any sense and it also went against my own person beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. Its easier to read "against the grain" when something goes against your personal beliefs. What's a lot of fun as well as useful as a thinker is to try and read with the grain when someone goes against your own personal beliefs and--even harder--is to read against the grain when they argue for them.

    When you read political articles and do not challenge the article's argument or mode of presentation because you agree with them, you allow yourself to get wrapped up in your own point of view. Don't get me wrong, I read articles that side with my own point of view (such as the Jason Fitzgerald one on 'Occupy'), but I also think it is necessary to try and challenge my own prejudices. This is the beauty of critical thinking.

    PS: Interestingly enough, Malcolm X began to rescind his emphasis on violence later in his life, leaving the Nation of Islam (the kind of militant group) and converting to Islam.


    It's also useful to remember that the book was called Malcolm X's autobiography, so when could argue that his opinions on violence and segregation were more a "reporting" than of arguing. And, once again, as I said above, X himself must have become disillusioned with his own misguided views on violence and segregation.

    Great examples!

    ReplyDelete